by Jane Elizabeth Muff
Have you been thinking about changing your life for the better?
Building a routine you can keep to in your daily life may not sound important, but for some people routine is what helps to keep them grounded. Having a daily routine can be helpful when trying to establish healthy habits, and especially important when aspects of your life feel uncertain. Routines can help to pull you out of the negative downward spiral that can be caused by too much stress.
When we don’t have a daily routine we can find ourselves focusing on situations that cause us stress and anxiety. As times have changed many people are working from home and may find themselves in constant isolation and during this time a lack of a normal daily routine can become mentally difficult to deal with.
Below are a few of the many life changing benefits of incorporating daily routines into your day:
Lower Stress levels
Form good habits
Take better care of yourself
Feel more productive
Feel more focused
Feel more motivated.
Here are 10 Daily practices that will change your life.
1. Make your bed every morning. It will make you feel you have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task. Replace checking your phone and social media with fixing your bed, that way you are taking time just for yourself and not diving straight into the stress of the day.
2. Stand outside and take some deep breaths. Fresh air helps you naturally wake up. If you are not able to go outside, just visualize you are in a field, sunshine shining down on you, imagine a gentle breeze, then take 5 nice deep breaths in and out.
3. Meditation – Incorporating this into your daily morning routine can help ground you and train your mind and emotions to come to a peaceful point of focus, which then influences how you react to challenges throughout your day.
4. Create and repeat positive Affirmations. Affirmations have the power to motivate you. A couple to get you going are “Today I choose happiness” “Today I will attract positive people and situations into my life”.
5. Write down a to do list for the day. Write down all the important things you have to do in the day, perhaps one for work and one for home. Once you have written them all down, go through and number them in order of priority. Highlight as you complete each task and you will be able to see the progress you have made in the day rather than things you did not get done.
6. Make time to read for 1 hour a day. In addition to allowing yourself to simply switch off, it reading can alsoimprove memory, critical thinking skills and reduce stress levels.
7. Exercise for 30 mins or more. Exercising regularly can have a positive effect on your mood by relieving tension in the body therefore alleviating anxiety and much more.
8. Surround yourself with positive people – you will find yourself feeling more positive and your attitude becoming more confident and peaceful the more you engage with others in a positive way. Human connection makes you feel motivated and you may even find that your attitude changes for the better.
9. Gratitude! Did you know being grateful can help you sleep better and longer? In addition to this, gratitude journaling slowly changes the way we perceive situations by adjusting what we focus on and we become grateful for the smaller things in life.
10. As in the morning, try not to use your phone before bed. Using your phone at night can interfere with both the quantity and quality of sleep and also promote distracting emotions.
At the Miracles Wellness Center, we offer Classes and Workshops that can help you get into healthy daily practices. It does not matter if you are advanced at meditations and mindfulness or just a beginner, we have a variety of services and techniques on offer to help assist you with building the right routine for you.